Saturday, March 7, 2009

What I've Learned From Runners

I have picked up a lot about how the world works and how to persevere from runners. Perhaps that it why I find the sport so intriguing. Some of the people I will discuss probably wouldn't even consider themselves runners - but that is how I see it. I wouldn't be doing this -- succeeding at training for my second marathon -- if not for these people. 

There is one thing I've learned about myself in the past three years. I am constantly working to impress my older brother and God Father, Ted. He would probably be embaressed to know this. His academic, work, service, and physical acheivements have always amazed me. Ted is probably the first "runner" I met. I remember watching him compete in high school cross-country. Once I even tried to run with him and my father in the pouring rain when I was about 8 years old. I remember hacking up a storm and I probably only got around the block. My father once said the reason Ted was successful as distance running was because he could "clench his teeth and bare it." Ted has completed many marathons. When I sought him out for training advice, I asked him specifically about how to train in the rain. He response: "Wear a hat." My brother's gut it out and get it down perspective has helped in getting my out the door for runs, especially during poor weather.  As soon as I hit the pavement, you might as well log my planned runs for the day because there is no way I'm not completing those miles. You just need to gut it out. 

Lauren would probably not want me to call her a runner, but she has become one. This past summer we trained together to run the Susan G. Komen 5k. Lauren had never run before. During the hottest days of the year, Lauren worked her way from run/walking 3 miles to running all 3 miles. With each increasing milestone she reached, you could see both the excitement and astonishment on her face. She reminded me how fun it is to run and reach new milestones. While the distances I am running aren't new, I am trying new paces, new types of workouts, and smiling (almost) every step of the way. 

During my first marathon, I ran along side a 52 year old women running her 6th marathon. Unbeknownst to me until eight miles into the race, Carol was running this marathon as a way to honor her husband who was fighting brain cancer. Over 20+ miles, you get to know alot about a person. Carol showed so much strength in facing a grim ordeal. At one point she told me how she used running as her own time.  While on the road, she was able to both work through and escape the emotion of her husband's battle. As a constantly busy and stressed out PhD student, having the hours on the road to escape my other responsibilities and slowly chew on whatever situation needs to be chewed on. At times it serves as my own form a therapy. Other times, it is my release. 

My tennis partner from high school has taught me the social benefits of running. Tina and I bested many other doubles teams. In April 2008, we bested the Lehigh Valley Half Marathon, completing the race in 2:07:17. I have a majority of my training alone. Competing together, Tina taught me how depending on another person will motivate you through the roughest of moments. She kept me upbeat despite knee and hip pain. She literally pulled me up the last hill. And she gave me the biggest hug when we finished. Having someone pushing her own limits next to you while you are pushing yours reminds me how friends can be great motivators and great company on the course. 

It is also amazing to me how running has helped create so many friendships. Many of my friends in my graduate program are triathletes or marathoners. Having the shared experience of competing has created a foundation to great friendships. Mary and I had a few classes together but never had much of an opportunity to talk or get to know each other. After more than a few running conversations in Doctoral Seminar (attempting to derail the day's discussion), we had a great run earlier and talked about future runs and races. I have asked countless questions of my triathlete friends and competed in 10ks with them. Running has allowed me to get to know to very intelligent and fantastic people. Heck - I met Bill Rogers while running! (See the Running With Royalty post). 

I originally made this  list while running (of course). It's late and I don't remember all of the people I wanted to include. I plan to add to this list because there is a ton to learning from runners and running. 

I realize that I've learned from non-runners too. My sisters were fantastic people that taught me to recognize the best in others and take the good from all experiences and encounters. Without my sisters, I'm not sure I would have taken the time to learn from others and be thankful for them. I also learned how to fight CF from my sisters. While my battle is drastically different, my perseverence is not. Join me in the battle and be 1 in 100. Give $10 today! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just caught up on your blog - I do read it but hadn't looked in for a few weeks. Your posts are incredibly inspirational, well written and could someday prove to be the outline for a sports psychology book... If anyone has inspired me to explore everything I can with my new sports passion - it's you hon, you are amazing. Good luck during these last days of training and it will be a real thrill for me to be there when you race. Love, Karen